A breast lift helps to correct breast shape, stiffness and size. Additionally, the operation helps to correct notable differences between the breasts (asymmetry). Surgery can improve your look, increase self-confidence and mitigate complaints emerging from the size of breasts.
|Surgeon||Dr. Jaan Troost / dr. Siim Simmo|
|Surgery duration||1,5-3,5 hours|
|Nights at hospital||2|
|Sick leave||1-2 weeks|
starting from €103 per month. Apply here.
The contours of a woman’s breasts change over time and with the increase in the woman’s age. Breast shape and stiffness is influenced by skin elasticity, gravity and other factors like weight range, pregnancies and lactations. As a result, the breasts may sag.
Changes in breast shape can often be a burden for women. It may not cause any physical problems, but can affect the way women see their body and a woman’s self-confidence. Often seeing naked breasts in the mirror, or not wearing a bra, is undesirable to a woman. This aspect can also affect sexual health in a negative way.
A breast lift or mastopexy refers to the elevation of slumped, sagging breasts and their reshaping. Even nipples with a lower position can have a higher, more youthful position. In the case of smaller breasts, for example, caused by the post-pregnancy loss of volume, there may be a desire to enlarge the breasts. This can be done by using breast implants, which can be performed simultaneously with the breast lift surgery.
The operation helps to correct breast shape, stiffness and size. Additionally, the operation helps to correct notable differences between the breasts (asymmetry).
The ability to lactate is not affected by the stretching of breasts. During planning for this operation, it is important to be aware that pregnancy can once again cause breast slackening; therefore it would be reasonable to plan the surgery for a later time.
Breast lift surgery can improve your look, increase self-confidence and mitigate complaints emerging from the size of breasts. In order to perform the operation successfully, it is important you be sure of the sort of outcome you are picturing. You can show photos to your surgeon to visualize your conception.
Women with realistic expectations have the best results. Mostly personal reasons support the operation. Once the decision is made, personal satisfaction and the well-being associated with it must be placed at the forefront. Improving your look can have a direct or indirect positive impact on your private and professional life.
Speak with your doctor frankly about your expectations regarding breast lift operation; about your wishes and ideas. Following his research, your doctor will explain to you the possibility to perform breast lift surgery based on the characteristics of your breasts (skin condition, breast size and shape) and according to your wishes. He will tell you what kind of result it is possible to achieve and where the possible scars will be located.
Depending on your age and genetic risk, your doctor can ask you to pass a mammogram investigation in order to exclude nodes in your breasts.
Prior to the planned surgery, you should be in as good a health as possible.
Limit your nicotine and alcohol consumption to a minimum. In addition to overall blood circulation, smoking also harms microcirculation in the surgery area. Due to this indication, it is recommended that you avoid smoking for a period of two weeks before and after the surgery.
The administration of preparations containing hormones (pills, hormonal substitution preparations) must be temporarily suspended.
The use of aspirin or any medicines containing acetylsalicylic acid, for a period of at least 14 days prior to surgery, is strictly prohibited.
You will need to withdraw from your job and private life for at least one week after the operation. If you have the opportunity to ask someone to take care of you after the operation, please speak with this person about postoperative care requirements.
It is recommended that you not be too active preoperatively, in order to rest well physically and mentally after the surgery. If you have any questions or doubts before the operation do not hesitate to contact your doctor.
As a rule, a hospital stay of one to a few days is recommended, especially if previous diseases require medical attention.
Breast lift surgery is mostly done under general anaesthesia, meaning you will be asleep during the surgery. Before surgery, the anaesthesiologist will perform the necessary research to ensure that you receive the appropriate anaesthesia.
Breast lift surgery usually lasts from 1.5 to 3.5 hours. Operation techniques may vary; the most commonly used method for floppy tissue is re-shaping with nipple elevation and reduction if needed. If you will also be receiving implants, they will be inserted into the muscle, without any additional incisions, into a pouch on the pectoral muscle or under it.
Depending on the scale of breast slackening, different techniques are used. Depending on the method used, scars are located in different positions. They may be:
– circular shaped, around the nipple
– around the nipple and vertically downwards
– around the nipple, vertically downwards and to one side (see drawing)
or in the case of extreme slackening
– around the nipple and backwards in a T-shape
Firstly, prospective incision locations and the new locations of the nipples are marked on the skin. After disinfecting the operation area and operation field covering, the necessary incisions are made. After this, the mammary glands are given a new shape and the nipples are placed in their new position. Finally, the skin is united under the nipples and the new breast is formed.
Sutures are usually located around the nipples and longitudinally until the tuck. In the case of bigger or more prominently slumped breasts, one horizontal incision into the tuck region must be done so that an L- or T-shape scar will form. Postoperatively a bandage or special bra is set to impinge postoperative swelling. Small drainage tubes help to drain fluid from the wound during the initial postoperative period.
1. For the first few days following the operation, your breasts will be sensitive and swollen. During this time, cooling applications are beneficial.
2. Light pain in the operation region is normal and can be alleviated with medicaments.
3. Administer prescribed medicaments in accordance with provided instructions.
4. In case of sudden pain, bleeding or sensitivity disturbances, seek help from the surgeon who performed the operation. For any other unclear matters, please contact your doctor immediately.
5. The healing of wounds will be checked on a regular basis. Drainage tubes are removed during the first postoperative days. Sutures are removed within the first three weeks.
6. After a few days, the bandage can be removed. During the first 3 to 6 weeks after the operation, it is recommended that you wear a tight, supporting bra, specially recommended by the doctor, to decrease swelling and to guarantee restful healing.
7. Scars will appear flushed and solid for a few weeks. Over time, the scars will become lighter and unnoticeable. The healing of scars can be supported with the use of special creams. To avoid pigment changes, you should avoid tanning the wound area for a period of 6 weeks.
8. Haematomas and oedemas disappear mostly during the first 2 weeks. Soma patients may have oedemas for a longer period, and a slight tendency for swelling may persist for a few months, especially during the warmer seasons.
9. Movements that require physical efforts must be avoided during the first postoperative weeks. For the first 3 to 4 weeks you should certainly avoid lifting heavy objects or lifting your hands over shoulder height; otherwise you will apply too much pressure to your sutures and wound healing will be hindered. Determining a suitable time to start working or doing other everyday activities can be best advised by your surgeon.
10. Your breasts are sensitive to pressure for the first 2 weeks. As a rule, this complication recedes 3 to 4 weeks after breast lift surgery.
11. After surgery you may experience a slight sense of fear or even sadness. These emotions are associated with unpleasant side effects of surgeries and also the anticipation of seeing what the result looks like. In a later phase of convalescence, when you feel better, these feelings disappear quickly.
12. About body care: after wound bandage removal you can take showers, but warm baths exposing the wound region must be avoided. In the case of swelling and haematomas, it is recommended to use the appropriate ointments or lotions.
After a few days, you will receive your first impression of your breasts’ new look. However, the breasts often tend to be very swollen, so it takes some weeks to see the final result. The final result is seen after 3 to 6 months have passed. Your doctor makes his/her best effort to leave the scars as small and unnoticeable as possible. Still, scars can not be completely invisible, initially they may be flushed and thick, later they will turn pale and thinner. Thanks to modern operating methods, the scar’s position is generally hidden so you can wear a low dress. In some cases, breast lift operation’s results can even be improved upon postoperatively, after a period of 6 to 12 months.
Breast lift can cause a significant change in your appearance and self esteem. After this operation, women feel a greater enjoyment of exercise.
Most of the women are very pleased with the operation’s results and enjoy their new look. Especially when expectations for the operation’s result were realistic and the operation passed without complications, you can be satisfied and enjoy your new look.
Repeating the breast lift operation usually does not induce problems. With the passing of the years, the initial surgical results may degrade; therefore a request may be made to lift already decreased breasts. It is recommended that the surgeon keep in mind the technique used during the first surgery. If there is a wish to correct a recently performed operation’s result, the surgeon should wait and see what the operation’s results look like.
Even after a successful breast lift operation, the doctor may recommend a regular check-up in order to supervise the result of surgery after a longer period of time. If you have any questions, please be sure to contact your doctor.